We eat strawberries in salads all the time so it doesn’t come as a surprise that we would enjoy them in pizza as well. Today’s savory strawberry pizza pairs delicious strawberries with goat cheese, Italian cheese, and a sweet balsamic glaze. It might sound like a dessert pizza but it isn’t. The strawberries just add a hint of sweetness to an all-around savory pizza.
I love experimenting with gourmet pizza combinations and after this recipe, I’m inspired to create some more. Andrew and I both love thin crust pizza so I kept the crust to a minimum, choosing to highlight the toppings instead. I think it’s why I love &pizza (based in DC) so much. Flatbread pizzas are the best and I have an easy time convincing myself they’re not that bad for me since they’re mostly toppings anyhow. Totally logical thinking, right?
Strawberry basil pizza with balsamic glaze and goat cheese
- pizza dough*
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 T cream
- 5-7 strawberries, sliced
- 2/3 c Italian cheese
- 1/4 c fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4 c - 1/2 c goat cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 c balsamic vinegar
- 2 T sugar
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Prepare pizza dough according to directions and shape into desired pizza shape.
- Pre-bake dough for 5 minutes on pizza stone.
- Mix olive oil, garlic and cream in a small bowl. Brush on pre-baked dough. Top with strawberries, Italian cheese, basil and goat cheese.
- Bake for another 10 minutes.
- While the savory strawberry pizza is baking, heat balsamic vinegar and sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer until vinegar thickens and coats a spoon. Remove from heat.
- Once pizza finishes baking, remove from oven and drizzle balsamic glaze over top.
The dough recipe makes 2 pizzas so be sure to cut dough recipe in half or double the pizza recipe.