This Moroccan spiced black rice, farro and brussels sprouts salad is the bomb dot com. I think it might turn brussels sprouts haters into lovers. This salad combines my love of grains into one giant mess of farro, black rice, brussels sprouts, currants, goat cheese and my favorite spice, Ras al Hanout. Ever since I made this recipe, I’ve been on a farro craze. I was excited to try Village Harvest’s farro and black rice (both natural and unprocessed grains), together in one recipe because my grain-loving self can’t stop at just one. Farro adds twice the protein and fiber as modern wheat does and contains 7g of protein per serving. It has such a fun crunch to it that it’s perfect in salads. I don’t know if you guys have experimented with black rice yet but if not, do! It’s one of those grains that don’t get enough attention. Village Harvest’s black rice has an earthy flavor with iron, vitamins, minerals and fiber, a more colorful alternative to brown rice.
Moroccan-spice black rice, farro + brussels sprouts salad
- 12 oz fresh brussels sprouts
- 1 T olive oil
- 1/4 c raw pecans
- 1/2 tsp Ras al Hanout
- 1/2 T butter, melted
- 1 T sugar
- 1/4 c goat cheese
- 1/4 c currants
- 1/2 c Village Harvest farro, uncooked (about 1 1/2 c cooked)
- 1/4 c Village Harvest black rice, uncooked (about 3/4 c cooked)
- 1/4 c olive oil
- 1 T honey
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- 2 tsp tahini
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 3 tsp lemon juice
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 tsp Ras al hanout
1. In a baking sheet, combine brussels sprouts and olive oil and roast on 350 F for 30-35 minutes or until brussels sprouts are tender. Quarter each brussels sprout.
2. In a small bowl, combine pecans, Ras al Hanout, melted butter and sugar together. Toast mixture until sugar is melted, being carefully not to burn pecans. Cool.
3. Cook farro and black rice separately according to package directions. Rinse each with water.
4. Whisk dressing ingredients together in a large bowl until well combined.
5. In a large bowl, combine brussels sprouts, pecans, goat cheese, currants, farro and black rice together. Add 4T-7T of dressing to bowl and mix thoroughly.