A and I have decided that he is now in charge of making anything where lots of fat and calories are involved. Believe it or not, this mac and cheese recipe is his and had I been the one making it, I would’ve lessened the cheese and totally ruined it. But A surprised us both with his cooking skills and this mac and cheese dish was a hit. It was so cheesy and so creamy, the ideal comfort food recipe when you’re craving pasta and cheese. I’ll definitely be using him more in the future!
Mac and cheese
- 16 oz pasta penne
- 3 T melted butter
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 3 T flour
- 1 T dijon mustard
- 4 c whole milk
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 8oz package of light cream cheese
- 1 8oz package of shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Melt butter in a large skillet on medium-low and cook onions until soft.
- Add in flour and mix thoroughly until a paste forms.
- Add in mustard and stir.
- Add in milk and stir to combine.
- Cook pasta according to directions on box and drain.
- Place pasta back on stove on low heat.
- Add salt, pepper and milk mixture. Stir.
- Add cheese and carefully stir until cheese is melted.
- Place mac and cheese in a 9x13 dish and bake on 350F for 30 minutes.
*Pasta can be reheated in the oven to serve as leftovers - be sure to add 1-2 c of milk to pasta when reheating to allow it to return to its creamy state.