Breakfast is quick and easy with these honey lemon oat muffins. They’re low in butter and sugar (skip the glaze for an even healthier muffin) and the hints of ginger really shine when paired with ginger tea. Also, they freeze really well (we froze half of them and then reheated them for dessert one day). I’ve always loved the combination of honey and lemon and since ginger is just about good with anything, it gives the muffins a nice subtle kick. The glaze is quite literally the icing on the cake, deepening the lemon flavor and sweetening the muffins just a bit more.
Honey lemon oat muffins
- 1 1/2 c flour
- 3/4 c oats
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 T sugar
- 5 T butter, melted
- 1 c milk
- 1 large egg
- 4 T honey
- 2 T grated fresh ginger
- 6 T powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 T lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Grease a 12 muffin baking tin.
- Combine flour, oats, salt, baking powder and sugar in a bowl and mix well with a fork.
- In a separate bowl, mix together butter, milk, egg, honey and ginger.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix gently with a fork.
- Pour batter into muffin tin. Bake in center of oven for 17 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove muffins from the oven once finished baking and cool for a few minutes.
- Make glaze in a small dish by mixing sifted sugar and lemon juice together.
- Pour glaze over top of muffins.