One of my best friends (who happens to be gluten free) once mentioned how her favorite gluten free flour was cassava flour. She told me that her favorite brand (and one she’s had most success with) was Moon Rabbit. Originally she had found it at TJ Maxx and so I followed her lead and hunted high and low for the bag, determined to find it but all to no avail. After several months of disappointment, I finally gave in and purchased it via Amazon. I had been dying to try gluten free waffles, since I had perfected gluten free pancakes. I was thrilled with the results and am so excited to add this dish to my gluten free breakfast list! For those interested….cassava flour comes from the yucca root (remember these yucca fries?!) and is packed with a ton of protein – it is super easy to bake with and is a great substitute for regular gluten flour in many recipes. Happy Friday!
Gluten free waffles made with cassava flour
- 2 c cassava flour
- 2 T sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 c flaxseed, grind and soak in 1 c water
- 4 T melted butter
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 c milk
- Maple syrup
- Mix together cassava flour, sugar and baking powder in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, soaked flaxseed mixture, butter, vanilla and milk.
- Gradually add to flour mixture, whisking together until just combined.
- Cook waffles in waffle maker and serve with maple syrup or yogurt.