I had my first fig marsala glazed pizza in the DC area. It was at &pizza, a Chipotle-style pizza shop where you pick your own toppings and your pizza is baked right in front of you. It’s one of my favorite places to eat because toppings here don’t just consist of cheese and pepperoni. You’ve got all sorts of goodies like herbs, broccoli, caramelized onions, sautéed mushrooms and goat cheese to top off your gourmet pizza with. Of course, if you’re a plain Jane pizza lover, you can opt for the more simple pie and stick to tradition. Every time we go, I make sure to ask for the fig marsala glaze. The combination of fig and marsala wine is genius. I recreated the glaze at home for this pizza and the results were as gourmet and delicious as I had hoped. Burrata was just the icing on the cake!
Fig marsala glazed pizza with burrata and basil
- pizza dough*
- 2 T olive oil
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 2 T Italian cheese blend
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 1/4 c fresh basil, chopped
- 1 burrata "ball"
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 T fig butter
- 1/4 c Marsala wine
- 1/2 T sugar
- Prepare pizza dough according to directions.
- Preheat oven to 450F and pre-bake dough on a pizza stone for 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine olive oil and garlic.
- Use a pastry brush to spread mixture on to pre-baked dough.
- Top with Italian cheese, tomatoes, basil and burrata. Sprinkle salt over top.
- Bake in oven for 10 more minutes.
- While pizza is baking, combine fig butter, Marsala and sugar in a small saucepan.
- Make a wine reduction by simmering on medium-low until mixture thickens and wine has evaporated.
- Drizzle glaze over pizza.
*The dough recipe makes 2 pizzas so be sure to cut dough recipe in half or double the pizza recipe