Currant Carrot Cake w. Coconut Lime Icing
Currant carrot cake. Say that 3x in a row. I made this cake last week and I’m pretty sure that having cake in the refrigerator every day is not only doing terrible things to my waistline but it’s also deepening my love for sweets. I crave cake always and this currant carrot cake with coconut rum macerated currants and a coconut lime icing (geez!) definitely satisfies that craving. It’s so nice to be able to open up the refrigerator, pull out a slice and enjoy some with a cup of hot tea (instead of trying to appease a cake craving with chocolate or worse, an apple, when you have zero prepared by way of dessert). This might make you laugh – I actually considered doing a 2-day juice cleanse at one point and tricked my mind into thinking I could definitely pull it off. That is until I had a green smoothie one evening in a lame effort to replace my regular meal, kind of like a precursor to the juice cleanse. And then it dawned on me that I could barely juice for dinner let alone an entire 2 days. But why am I talking about juicing when this cake is today’s point of focus? So a food blogger fail story for you regarding this cake….the initial icing recipe totally was a wreck. Basically, everything whipped together created a mass of chunky and curdled goo, something no one would ever want to put on their cake. After becoming super disappointed and slightly depressed, I finally mustered up the courage to go at it again. Yay for second chances and beautiful icing.
Currant Carrot Cake with Coconut Lime Icing
Currant carrot cake with coconut lime icing
- 1/2 c currants
- 1/4 c coconut rum
- 3/4 c yogurt
- 9 T butter
- 1 1/4 c sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 2 c flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- pinch cloves
- 3/4 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 c walnuts
- 3 c shredded carrots
- 1/2 coconut flakes
- 1 package (8 oz) cream cheese
- 2 T butter
- 3/4 c powdered sugar
- 4 T coconut milk
- 1 tsp lime juice
- In a small bowl, place currants and rum together. Set aside for 15-20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Grease and flour a bundt cake pan.
- In a separate large bowl, combine the yogurt, butter and sugar together. Add vanilla extract and eggs, one at a time, gradually beating between each addition.
- In a separate bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and spices.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and whisk until well incorporated.
- Gently mix in walnuts, shredded carrots, and coconut flakes.
- Pour batter into bundt pan and bake for about 48-50 minutes or when toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Cool completely.
- Icing: Whisk together cream cheese, butter and powdered sugar until well incorporated. Add in coconut milk and blend. Mix in lime juice.
- Pour icing over cake.
- Refrigerate for an hour or so and then serve.
This looks incredible, and your photography skills always blow me away! I’ve found myself craving sweets more often, too. It’s dangerous!
Comments are closed.