Thank heavens we had friends to help us finish this layered chocolate cake with coffee cream and ganache drizzled on top. It was one of those cakes that felt so light you could eat 10 pieces and barely feel it, which is hard to believe considering it’s heavy on the chocolate and cream laden. Maybe it was just me. Not that I allowed myself the luxury; the most I binged on at once were two small slices. If these photos can’t convince you guys that you need to try this cake, try it anyway. Seriously.
Let me tell you something funny about this cake. While I love drizzling ganache over dessert, sometimes it doesn’t quite drizzle as well as I imagine. Prior to painting my food canvas, I had envisioned a pretty display of ganache laying out across the top of the cake in an intricate pattern. After two huge dollops of ganache landed on the top in a glob, I gave up and Jackson Pollock-ed the entire thing. Success eh?
LAYERED CHOCOLATE CAKE WITH COFFEE CREAM AND GANACHE
Chocolate cake with coffee cream and ganache
- 1 3/4 c all purpose flour
- 1 1/4 c + 2 T sugar
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 c buttermilk
- 12 T butter, softened
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 c strong coffee
- 3/4 c high quality cocoa powder*
- 1/4 c coffee rum
- 1 1/2 T instant coffee
- 3/4 c heavy whipping cream
- 9T powdered sugar
- 12 oz mascarpone cheese
- 3.5 oz milk chocolate
- 5 T heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350F. Mix flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together in a large bowl.
- In a small saucepan, combine coffee and cocoa powder and heat until cocoa powder is well incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, combine buttermilk, butter, eggs, and vanilla. Add in coffee/cocoa mixture and coffee rum. Gradually add mixture to the flour mixture. With an electric mixer, whisk until combined.
- Grease and flour two 8″ round pans. Pour batter evenly into each pan and bake at 350F for 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Combine instant coffee granules, heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar and mascarpone cheese in a large bowl and whip on high until stiff peaks form. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- In a small saucepan or double broiler, carefully melt milk chocolate with whipping cream. Cool slightly.
- Assembling the layered cake…
Place 1/3 of cream on the top of the first layer of cake. Top with second layer and spread the remaining 2/3 cream over the top and sides. Drizzle ganache over the top and sides of the cake. Refrigerate for 3 hours and then serve.