One of my friends from college came over recently and we whipped up too many cupcakes to count (you may have seen the result over on snapchat). Over the next few weeks, I’ll be sharing those three recipes with you guys because they are too good NOT to share and everyone needs more cupcakes in their lives. The first recipe of the roundup is caramel latte cupcakes with a caramel frosting made with homemade caramel (yep, it’s the same friend who gave me that recipe too). These cupcakes are perfect for any sweet fix and go along great with coffee or tea. Admittedly, we had them for breakfast once or twice (so bad but so good) and dessert many many times. After subsisting on cupcakes for a few days, we brought half of the remaining to a neighborhood BBQ and froze the other half. I wasn’t exaggerating when I said that there were too many to count.
Andy's caramel latte cupcakes
- 2 sticks butter
- 1 1/2 c white sugar
- 8 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 c milk
- 1 box instant French vanilla pudding
- 2 c flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 T instant coffee powder
- 1/2 recipe for caramel
- 1 8oz block of cream cheese
- 1 lb or more powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the egg yolks one at a time, then stir in the vanilla. Set aside.
- Sift together the flour, pudding mix, baking powder, and salt in a separate bowl.
- Beat the flour mixture into the butter mixture alternately with the milk.
- Fold in the coffee powder into the batter, allow it to only slightly incorporate (do not over-mix batter).
- Fill cupcake pans with scant ¼ cup measurements of batter.
- Bake cupcakes in the preheated oven for 12-14 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Immediately remove from cupcake pan using a butter knife. Cool on a rack for about 20 minutes.
- Mix the caramel with the cream cheese. If the caramel is a little hard, microwave it for just a few seconds until warm (not hot).
- Beat in approximately one pound of powdered sugar till the desired consistency is reached.
- Add in vanilla extract and mix well.
- Frost cupcakes with caramel frosting.
*Extra frosting can be frozen.