The last time I posted a dessert of any type was over a month ago and that’s just unacceptable. I actually made these before we left for our trip – we devoured three of them (we gave away one) in 2 days because obviously, you can’t leave perishables in your refrigerator when you go on vacation. Never mind the fact that they were delicious and totally hard to resist.These mini tarts photograph well, almost just as good as they taste. So many flavors here that meld together nicely: almond, lemon, berries but my favorite is the lemon. Maybe I’m just craving lemon meringue pie but this lemon custard is delicious – so good, in fact, I started to eat it plain, straight from a spoon. If you don’t own any mini tart pans and you don’t feel like spending money on a set, you can use a standard size tart pan. It will taste just as good!
Almond crusted mixed berry tarts with lemon custard.
- 1 c flour
- 1/2 c + 1 T almond flour
- pinch salt
- 1/3 c sugar
- 8 T salted butter
- 2 T water
- 1/2 c sugar
- 5 T cornstarch
- 3/4 c + 1/2 c water
- Juice + zest from 1 lemon
- 3 T salted butter
- 2 eggs
- 3 T milk
- mixed berries (strawberries, blueberries, blackberries)
- Mix together flours, salt, and sugar.
- Cut in butter and add water.
- Lightly gather dough together and divide out into 5 portions (or 4 depending on how thick you want the crust).
- Roll out each portion into the mini tart pans and move up the sides of each pan.
- Freeze for about 10 minutes and preheat oven to 400F.
- Pierce bottom of each tart pan. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Mix together sugar and cornstarch in a small pot.
- Add water, lemon juice and zest and bring to a boil. Stir frequently.
- Remove about 1/2 cup of thickened lemon juice mixture and place in a bowl.
- Add eggs and mix well. Add back into the pot and stir, making sure both mixtures are well incorporated into each other.
- Turn heat to low and cook for another 4 minutes, stirring often to avoid burning on the bottom. Remove from heat and add butter and milk. Stir.
- Divide custard between tarts and smooth overtop each crust.
- Bake tarts for another 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool completely.
- Top tarts with berries.