Today is a fun day. Not only is it a 4 x 4 Style post, but it's a hair tutorial day! I've never done one of these before and I loved the challenge this post gave me. Through this, I learned that I'm terribly boring when it comes to how I wear my hair. Unless you can count the two times I've changed the way I part my hair.
As a result, I've promised myself to expand my horizons and experiment with new hairdos. Ones that require a few steps more than just walking out the door. With wet hair. What would I do without curly hair??!
Today's tutorial is for DIY boho braids. Messy waves and volume are key. The perfect summer hairstyle, these summer braids are great for the beach or for a nonchalant look for everyday wear. For those with straight hair - this style would work superbly but the outcome will be slightly different. Rather than a messy, laidback look, your outcome will look much more polished and elegant.
Blonde hair works best (just a tad jealous of all naturally highlighted blondes) but as you can see, I'm a as much of a brunette as you can get so it still looks great on those with brown hair. It's a simple style - and most importantly, does not require two people. Just one. And I promise you won't be looking at it thinking how in the world did she get her fingers to braid that?
Simplicity is key here.
**Be sure to check out the rest of the 4 x 4 stylers! Alyssa from Runway Chef has mastered the side braid, Jea from Dainty Jea has cleverly twisted her hair and Luci from Luci's Morsels braided her hair at the crown. All easy hairstyles perfect for summer.**
1. Start off with hair that has full volume. Part your hair to one side (or down the middle if you prefer).
2. Take the upper half of your hair and pull it up on top of your head and out of your way. Be sure to leave a good bit of hair near your ears.
3. If your hair is parted to a side, loosely pin the parted hair behind your head.
4. Take three small sections of hair near your ear (one from right behind your ear) and braid each one tightly. Repeat on other side with one or two braids. If you prefer, you can loosen the braids by pulling them apart a little.
5. Take one braid at a time and wrap over your head to the opposite side. Pin. Repeat for each braid.
If it is especially hot, humid and sticky out, you can pull your hair into a ponytail for a slightly different look.
And there you have it! And easy boho hairstyle for summer.